- Hyperlinks in Google Docs can be used to link to other websites or documents.
- To create a hyperlink in Google Docs on a computer, select the text and choose Insert Link from the toolbar.
- To create a link in the Google Docs mobile app, select the text and tap Insert link.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference Library for more stories.
Hyperlinks are an essential part of almost any document, so it’s no surprise that Google Docs makes linking to websites a few clicks (or, if you’re editing on your mobile device, a few clicks).
Google Docs not only allows you to link to external websites, but also to other documents.
Here’s how to add a hyperlink on your computer or mobile device.
How to Create a Hyperlink in Google Docs Using a Computer
1. Open a document in Google Docs using a web browser.
2. Select the text you want to turn into a hyperlink.
3. Click it Insert a link in the toolbar (which looks like a link in a chain).
4. In the pop-up Link dialog box, type or paste the URL you want to link to. The URL must be a valid web address, but you don’t need to include the “http://” part. For example, you can enter “businessinsider.com”. As a general rule though, it’s a good idea to copy and paste the URL from a web browser’s address bar, so you know the link is error-free.
5. Click on To apply to finish.
You can also display the link text box shown above by highlighting the text and pressing Command + K on a Mac computer or Control + K on a PC, then inserting your link in the same way.
If you need to change the URL later, you can click the link and choose an option from the pop-up menu. You can copy the URL, edit it, or delete it entirely.
How to Create a Hyperlink in Google Docs Using the Mobile App
1. Open a document in the Google Docs app on your iPhone or Android phone.
2. Select the text you want to turn into a hyperlink. A toolbar should automatically appear below the selected text.
3. Faucet Insert a link.
4. On the Insert Link page, type or paste the URL to which you want to link.
5. When you’re done, tap the checkmark in the top right of the screen.