(Pocket-lint) – Instagram for a long time limited that could use hyperlinks in Instagram stories. But, at the end of 2021, he lifted all the requirements, allowing anyone to add them to his stories. You no longer need a business or creator account, you don’t need to be verified, and you don’t need more than 10,000 followers.
Who can add links to Instagram Stories?
Instagram originally offered a swipe link tool that allowed some users to add hyperlinks to their stories. When used, viewers can swipe up on your story or tap an arrow at the bottom of their screen to open any page you’ve linked, all without leaving the Instagram app. But to add a link to your story, you had to be verified or have a business or creator account with over 10,000 followers.
In mid-2021, Instagram tested a link sticker that worked like the swipe up link – only viewers were tapping instead of swiping. At the end of 2021, he officially introduced the “Link” sticker for all users, opening up the possibility for everyone to include hyperlinks in their stories. The link sticker is useful whether you are a business that links to products for sale or an influencer that links to an external blog.
Instagram said accounts sharing misinformation or hate speech would lose access.
How to add a link to your Instagram story
Instagram’s “Link” sticker feature completely replaces the swipe tool, which was how users previously linked to external web pages from stories.
The “Link” sticker
A link can be added anywhere to a story.
- Open the latest version of the Instagram mobile app.
- Tap the Stories camera at the top of your screen.
- Take a photo or video in the app or choose from your Camera Roll.
- Head to the Instagram Stories sticker tray icon.
- Scroll down until you see the “Link” sticker. Select it.
- You will have the option to type or paste a URL.
- You will be able to reposition your link sticker by dragging it or resizing it with a pinch.
- You can also choose different colors.
- Ended? If you’re using an iOS device, tap Done. If you are using an Android, tap the check mark.
And that’s all!
Can you use the “Link” sticker elsewhere?
Instagram said its link sticker was for stories only. He doesn’t intend to bring it to the main Instagram feed or anywhere else.
Want to know more?
For more practical Instagram hacks, check out our guides:
Why you need LastPass to secure your digital life
Written by Maggie Tillman. Originally published on .