Using links to connect two pieces of information has become an essential part of any task management activity. That’s why today we’re going to give you instructions on how to add a link in Notion. This is a relatively simple task that will only take seconds of your time and give your content better structure.
How to add a link in Notion
Adding a link in Notion is as easy as it sounds. You can add a link to an external website and embed it in your text, just like with any other word processing application. Just follow these simple steps:
- Launch Notion on your Mac or PC.
- Open the page to which you want to add a link.
- Copy the link you want to add from your browser or wherever you posted it.
- Start typing text on the Notion page and select a specific part where you want to insert a link. Take this sentence as an example: you can learn how to create a Netflix account here. Now, if we wanted to link a page with the instruction steps, we would select the “here” part of the sentence and wait for the text editor box to appear above the text line.
- In the text editor area, click on the “Link” button.
- Paste the link in the link box that appears next.
- Press “Enter” on your keyboard or select “Link to Web Page” to finish.
You have now added a link to your Notion page. Just click on the word with the embedded link and Notion will redirect you to its address.
How to visualize the blocks in a concepts page
Blocks are at the heart of Notion’s ecosystem. You can create dozens of different content blocks and then customize them further endlessly. There really aren’t any specific rules for how to view your blocks. It all depends on your creativity and the time available to invest in adding details.
To make your text more organized, you can add blocks such as headings, subheadings, bulleted lists, or columns. Columns will break your text vertically, allowing you to add new blocks of content to each column.
Here are some more questions that might help you get the most out of Notion.
How to organize in concept?
You can think of Notion as a collection of Legos. You get a bundle of blocks to combine, mix and match until you do something you love. Working with Notion blocks can be a difficult task if you are new to it. With so many options on how to organize your pages, you might feel a little overwhelmed at first.
That’s why we’re going to give you some useful tips for organizing your space in Notion so that it’s nice and clean – and most importantly, functional.
• Use only one workspace if you are a beginner. It will be much easier to juggle between pages than between workspaces.
• Dedicate each page to a specific topic and use links and mentions (@) to connect your pages. No need to copy the same material in two places. This will give your workspace a more organized look where each piece of content has its own place.
• Create subpages to further divide your content. It’s a great way to structure information so that it doesn’t feel like you’re swimming in a sea of text and other content.
• Use titles to give your page a well-structured look. Choose between the three available items. Our advice is to use Title 1 as the main title and Titles 2 and 3 as the subtitles.
• Create page icons to help you navigate them faster. As silly as it sounds, the more pages you create, the longer it will take you to find the right one. This is when icons come to the rescue. Looking for your Recipes page? Why not use a cake icon to find it faster?
• Add tables, columns, lists or tables – these will help you organize your content and make it visually appealing. For example, you can add a calendar to your to-do list for a better overview of deadlines.
How to copy a link in Notion?
Copying a link is no different from copying any other text. Just follow these steps to copy a link in Notion to your clipboard:
• With your cursor, highlight the piece of text that has the link.
Note: If you just click on the text without highlighting it, you will copy the URL of your current page.
• Right-click on the highlighted text.
• Select the “Copy link” option from the menu.
You have now copied a link into Notion.
Another great feature that Notion offers is code blocks which allow you to add snippets.
Here’s how to add one to your Notion page:
• Launch Notion on your Mac or PC.
• Navigate to the page where you want to add a code snippet.
• Start writing a new line of text where you want to add the snippet.
• Start typing “/ code” and click on the “Code” option in the drop-down menu.
• Click on the body of the cut code to paste the code.
If you are looking for instructions on how to create a clickable link with Java Script, follow this approach:
• Make an anchoring element.
• Create a text node that will contain text to display as a link.
• Add the node to the anchor element.
• Find the item’s title and href property.
• Add the element to the body.
How to create a hyperlink in Notion?
Creating hyperlinks to connect specific parts of your document can be very convenient and save you time. The closest thing to a hyperlink in Notion is the @ -tagging option. Using this tag allows you to create a shortcut to a specific page.
Here’s how to do it, and it’s pretty straightforward:
• Launch Notion on your mobile device or computer.
• Type @ in the body of the page.
• You will see a message indicating “Mention a person, a page or a date …”
• Start typing the name of the page, person, or date you want to link to.
• It will automatically appear as a hyperlink.
If you click on this hyperlink, it will take you directly to the page to which it refers.
Note: You will also see a “Link to page” block which might seem like a good option to use as a hyperlink. However, this will only create something like a subpage inside your page. For this reason, you will only be able to link to the same page once. With the @ -tagging option, you can tag the pages as many times as you want.
Keep your work connected
Juggling between different pieces of content can be exhausting if they are all over the place. Connecting pieces of related information is essential to stay on track during your work. That’s why today we showed you how to use links in Notion. Now you don’t have to worry about spending more time researching information and can focus on more important tasks.
How do you like to organize your content in Notion? Do you often insert hyperlinks to help you juggle different sets of content? Share your experience in the comment section below.